Perast is considered the largest monument of the Bay of Kotor since the whole place is made out of stone. It is located just 12 km from Kotor, in front of Vergie isthmus. Although there is only one main street, Perast has 19 churches. The Church of St. Nicholas from 1616 is located in the very centre of the town, on the main square in a row of palm trees and bronze statues of famous citizens. Perast was once a shipyard whose fleet consisted of several hundred ships. It stands out with its 16 palaces, mostly baroque, such as the famous Zmajevic palace built in 1664. Sea side’s scenery is decorated with two islands: natural islet St. George and artificial islet of Our Lady of the Rocks, which was erected in gratitude to Our Lady for healing one of the two brothers who, at that very spot, found an image of Our Lady.